FMC IN SWAZILAND
A partnership between New Covenant FMC and the Mozambique FMC has made it possible for a church to be planted in Manzini, Swaziland. The FMC is now registered with the government. The partnership with Free Methodists in the U.S. continues. A renewal of the partnerships is underway.
Pastor Luis Guambe, a member of the Mozambique General Conference Missions Committee, was sent across the border to neighboring Swaziland to begin Free Methodist work in that country. He made some contacts and started a small group but then returned home due to lack of resources and training.
Meanwhile, God was giving a vision to a Free Methodist woman in Michigan. She visited the country and was immediately captivated by its beauty, its people and its need. Her great burden for orphaned children in the HIV/AIDS pandemic was combined with a concern that a Free Methodist church be established. Responding to her vision and her passion, her home church, New Covenant, Clio, MI, gave an offering to help.
- Population: 1,404,178
- Evangelical Christians: 20.8%
- FM Work Opened: 2007
- FM Churches: 2
- FM Membership: 119
- Ordained Ministers: 1
- Ecclesiastical Accountability: Mozambique General Conference through Bishop João Luis Uanela Nyaphale
Church-in-FormationMozambique General Conference
Pray for:• Gos's leading for the Swazi ministry and the FM partners as the review and plan for their next phose of the partnership
• the Mozambique church in its crucial partnership role.
• people to find freedom in Jesus from the occult and traditional religion
• the nearly 50 percent of the population who live below the poverty level