- growth of the Hungarian FMC
- the raising and training new leaders and co-workers from within Hungary and from abroad
- positive witness and trust-building in the communities served (Budapest and Gyór)
- further development of the Set Free Movement in Hungary and beyond
- open doors into new communities and populations in Hungary
The Free Methodist Church operates in Hungary as the Bread of Life Foundation, and its charter includes both religious and humanitarian activities.
There are currently two church fellowships in Hungary. Péter Tóth is the pastor of the Budapest fellowship. In addition to church ministries, community outreach events and services include English classes, women’s programs, men’s events, preschool programs, and a weekly recovery group. Budapest also serves as the administrative headquarters of the Free Methodist Church in Europe, where missionary Larry Winckles serves as the Europe Area Associate Director. His wife, Katie, is part of the Budapest church leadership team, the mission bookkeeper, and the director of English-language ministries. The Győr fellowship, led by a national leader, Sylvia Nyiri, includes English-language worship services, Bible studies, a university student group, Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) ministry, service to the poor, and ministry to orphans.
The Set Free Movement operates in Hungary. Its ministries include:
- Sensitivity training
- Ministry to orphans
- Ministry to convicts.
- Raising awareness with at-risk populations
- Networking with like-minded organizations
- Participation in the European Freedom Network
Set Free teams are working in Budapest, Győr, and Pécs.
Erin Kingsley graduated from Spring Arbor University with a bachelor’s degree in visual arts education. In 2018 she received a Master of Fine Arts degree from Eastern Michigan University. Part of Erin’s educational training included student teaching at Morrison...
Larry Winckles serves as the Europe Area associate director, working closely with Josh Fajardo, Europe Area director. As associate area director, Larry helps resource and equip developing FM ministries within continental Europe. He also serves as secretary of the...
Prayercast | Hungary
Transformed Lives, Transforming Others
- Population: 9,919,128
- Evangelical Christians: 2.8%
- FM Work Opened: 1995
- FM Churches: 2
- FMC Membership: 42
- Ordained Ministers: 2
- Eccleasiastical Accountability: FMWM through Europe Area Director Josh Fajardo
Join the ministry in Hungary
Church Planting & Development
Supporting the Hungary Church Planting and Development Fund (CPD) will help resource the following people and strategic initiatives:
- Budapest Ministry Center operations
- Administrative Assistant
- Recovery Groups
- Budapest Free Methodist Church – Pastors Péter Tóth
- Weekly English class – Katie Winckles, leader
- Life Skills Program
- Men’s and women’s events
- Community services and celebrations
- Special exhibitions and programs
- Training retreats and seminars
- Music pre-school and mother / baby exercise class
- Housing for assistant pastor and family
- Travel-related expenses to send Hungarian representatives to Church Leaders Conference
- CPD promotional materials
Extra Mile Projects
Budapest Ministry Fund
This fund helps with the ongoing maintenance and improvement needs of the Budapest Ministry Center.
Hungary Set Free Movement
Support for the Set Free Hungary EMP allows for the ongoing work and development of anti-trafficking work throughout Hungary. Set Free Hungary no longer has a single coordinator, instead, Set Free ministries are coordinated by Hungary team members in Budapest, Győr, and Pécs.
Zsuzsa Mecséri-McNamara – Set Free Coordinator
Larry Winckles – represents Set Free Hungary before the European Freedom Network (EFN) and serves on the EFN church strategy team
Sylvia Nyiri – oversees the children’s home ministry in Győr
Péter Tóth – oversees the ministry at the Salvation Army shelter in Budapest
Szandra Barat-Abrams – coordinates the annual Walk for Freedom and helps with developing ministries in southern Hungary
Katie Winckles – oversees the Set Free prayer ministry
Erin Kingsley – assists with children’s ministries